View Single Post
Old Mon May 30, 2005, 01:58pm
Do not give a damn!!

Re: Well,

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim C
Just read my article and feel free to write an op/ed piece in return.

BTW, I have NEVER WORKED with a high school umpire wearing a ball bag on the bases. You must work in an area with highly trained umpires.
I had a partner just this year that used a ball bag on the bases. I worked with this guy twice. The second time I worked with him he wore his shin protectors on the outside of his pants. According to him he had heart surgery and his legs were swollen from the surgery and having some veins being taken from his leg (bypass surgery I think). The guy was a really nice guy, but that he gets games from this particular assignor.

It is not about training, it is about what is required to work a simple game. Now a guy like this might get a game, but he might not get respect from coaches and he will likely not work any playoff games. The reality is there are not many umpires for the amount of games that are out there. Guys work games they probably would not be "qualified" for in other areas. Baseball is not a major sport where I live, so you see many guys doing things that would standout in other sports.

Peace