View Single Post
Old Sat May 28, 2005, 02:23pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: And,

Quote:
Originally posted by Carl Childress
Isn't that the attitude what gets Tee into trouble when he rails against "LL umpires"? If the only people who get to post are those who already know the answers....
I am not against anyone asking questions. Which way to I face when I dust off the plate? That is a question that a guy getting ready to call his first game might not know. And I don't believe that this is covered in any books, so the only way that guy is going to learn the answer is by asking someone, either online or in person.

I always thought that was different than a coach asking for an answer that is straight out of the rule book. If the original question was asking the defenition of "passed" in determining if a runner is out for contacting a batted ball, that is a decent question. You will never figure it out by just reading the OBR. But dead ball strikes are not hard to understand if you just read the book.

Garth is right. This forum is just used to feed money to Officiating.com. I have no input over how this website is run, so if you want to encourage coach questions, go for it.

But as I have said before, For some reason, motcoach does not strike me as a guy who will be buying an Officiating.com membership. Some people who post on this board hold grudges. A few months back, some posters refused to buy the BRD because they had to give an email address. If they are driven from this board because of "bad" posts, that is just another bad mark against Officiating.com to them.

As Garth said, this board is used to help generate revenue for Officitaing.com. The more posters you get to the forum, the more people who will visit the website. But as more and more bad questions are posted, certain posters will be driven away from the board.

I am not a marketing guy, but I would think you would like to market your product towards people who would be willing to purchace it. I bet there aren't a lot of snowblower ads down in Texas.

Officiating.com has a choice, they can use their forum to retain a client base who are in to sports officiating, or they can try to attract as many people to the forum as possible, many of which who are coaches and fans, which in turn will drive away some of the sports officials.

I would assume the officials would be more likely to buy books about officiating than the coaches and fans.