Thread: "lodged" ball
View Single Post
Old Fri May 27, 2005, 02:47pm
Official Forum Member

Discussed again ...

Quote:
Originally posted by CoachJM
dddunn3d,

Your cite would certainly apply if the fair batted ball became "lodged" in any part of the player's uniform or any piece of his equipment other than his glove. If the ball gets "stuck"/lodged in his glove/mitt, I believe the assertions I made above are correct. Well, at least the one about the ball remaing in play while the glove remains on his hand.

To tell the truth I'm actually not sure if the ball becomes "dead" when the player intentionally removes his glove (while the ball is "stuck" in it) or if it only becomes dead if he subsequently tosses it.

And I really can't tell what is supposed to happen if the player is simply unable, no matter how long or hard he tries, to get the ball "unstuck" from his glove.

Why don't you read "Situations 6 & 7" which can be found at the link below and then come back and tell us what you think.

http://www.nfhs.org/scriptcontent/va...Footer=BB_FOOT

JM

P.S. BTW, since you're going there anyway, you won't want to miss "Situation 3" either.
This was discussed way too much earlier in the season.

But basically Bob Jenkins gave the easiest analysis.

Keep it simple and easy to remember.

I don't know what kind of gloves these kids must be wearing, I've never seen a lodged ball in a glove yet in my 25+ years of calling.

Thanks
David