View Single Post
Old Fri May 27, 2005, 10:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by brumey1107
Thank you for all for your input, opinions and suggestions.

No doubt what really helps and counts is having the experience and poise in dealing with these types of situations at the time. jicecone and and mcrowder I'll try and remember those helpful lines should this sitch come my way again.

...now the rest of the story...

... after Coach asked I just told the coach "He's safe".
Being:
1) it was a judgment call,
2) didn't request time
3) working solo
ect...

He responds back with "I'm just asking a question". I say "Coach, in the dugout!" and turn and begin walking back to the plate.

Then I hear (you'll love this!!!) the coach yelling to his second baseman "Did you tag him?"

So that's when I spun around and dumped him!!

... on top of all that, a 1/2 inning later he's standing behind the stands no more than 15' from the dugout/field. So, I stop the game and ask him to leave or threaten to have them forfeit.

If nothing else a great learning experiance.

Enjoy your day!!

My advice to you on handling Coaches:

Since the play was over simply call time as he exits the dugout. Since your working the game solo be sure to meet the Coach away from the home plate area. Let him come to you. That way if you must eject he's perceived as the aggressor. Hear what he has to say and then start off by repeating what he just said. Let me see if I understand you the throw was wide your fielder caught the ball and lunged and tagged the runner. Then tell him what you saw. "The runner was on the base before he was tagged." If the Coach repeats himself say Coach we've already discussed this lets play ball. Turn and go back to the Plate. The vast majority of the time he'll go back to the bench. If he follows you to the plate (he will be perceived as the aggressor) give him the "stop sign" if he persists now he's fair game for an ejection. One more comment to me the Coach asking his player if he tagged the runner would not cause me to eject. He's simply asking his player a question and it's not directed at you. It's OK to let the Coach have the last word so long as it's not directed at you personally. The way you described the ejection (spun around and dumped him) I would perceive you as the aggressor. IMO you want to avoid this perception.

Your job is to defuse the situation. I would avoid sarcastic remarks or smart a** replies. This could only add fuel to the fire. You don't want to be "shown up" likewise don't "show up" the Coach. You want to be treated with respect the Coach deserves to be treated with respect as well.