View Single Post
Old Fri May 27, 2005, 09:24am
Official Forum Member

Originally posted by jumpmaster

OBR: Bottom of the ninth...home team at bat...down by one run...two outs...R2, R3. Bloop base hit to shallow left field. Ball drops and R2, R3 easily score. While rounding first the BR misses first base because F1 is standing in the middle of it. After a long round and seeing that F6 now has the ball the BR tries to get back to first and the subsequent throw ends up in the dugout. Having seen the ball enter the dugout and hearing the umpire shout 'dead ball you third base'...the BR proceeds to head to the dugout as he thinks the game is over. The visiting manager comes out to argue the call and says that they should be allowed to appeal that the runner missed first. Tell me step by step what you are going to say (rule book terminology) and do.

OBR 7.06

When obstruction occurs, the umpire shall call or signal "Obstruction." (a) If a play is being made on the obstructed runner, or if the batter runner is obstructed before he touches first base, the ball is dead and all runners shall advance, without liability to be put out, to the bases they would have reached, in the umpire's judgment, if there had been no obstruction.

B1 was Obstructed before he touched first base, game over.

Now reality.

F1 is standing in the middle of it.

Simply push F1 out of the way to touch the base. In addition you said the middle of it. All the runner has to do is touch ANY part of the base.

In any event - Game Over. If manager comes out while I am on my way to the car. It's skip R1 was obstructed as your fielder was blocking the entire base. End of Discussion Game Over.

Pete Booth