View Single Post
Old Fri May 27, 2005, 08:02am
Official Forum Member

SC - he was not being condescending. He was merely stating that the comments you made regarding HS ball were so far off base from ASA mechanics that you should probably not be advising ASA umpires at all. Honestly, I think your comments were off-base for HS ball too. You are treating the game like a football game. This is MY area, not yours, so don't make any calls in MY area. Hogwash. Safe/Out is one thing - one umpire IS responsible for that call, depending on the situation. But OBS, INT, and several other rules are not supposed to be called that way.

In lining yourself up for the optimal call on a possible close play at one base, you take yourself out of the most optimal position for events that occur at other bases. This is where your partner is EXPECTED to pitch in, when possible. If BU is ready for a close play at 2nd, he CERTAINLY doesn't have the best angle on OBS or possibly even INT near first base. This is true at ANY level ball, and for either baseball or softball, and for either 2 or 3 man mechanics.

THIS IS NOT FOOTBALL. Work together, not separately.

PS - if you're going to tell someone not to condescend, at least have the decency to not condescend in that very same post.