View Single Post
Old Thu May 26, 2005, 11:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jumpmaster
OBR: Bottom of the ninth...home team at bat...down by one run...two outs...R2, R3. Bloop base hit to shallow left field. Ball drops and R2, R3 easily score. While rounding first the BR misses first base because F1 is standing in the middle of it. After a long round and seeing that F6 now has the ball the BR tries to get back to first and the subsequent throw ends up in the dugout. Having seen the ball enter the dugout and hearing the umpire shout 'dead ball you third base'...the BR proceeds to head to the dugout as he thinks the game is over. The visiting manager comes out to argue the call and says that they should be allowed to appeal that the runner missed first. Tell me step by step what you are going to say (rule book terminology) and do.
"If a runner misses a base because of obstruction, an appeal of his miss of such base cannot be upheld". R2 easily scored so there is no reason for B1 to advance, thus no reason for him to miss 1B, even if F3 is standing on it since all he has to do is touch it. So I don't think we have an obstruction call, but if we do the BU will have already signaled and thus no appeal is allowed. Assuming no obstruction was signaled, B1 passed 1B so he "acquired" it and can only be out on appeal since the ball is now dead, he can't retouch, and in fact he went to the dugout, but he can still be out on appeal. The ball is dead so I am going to allow the defense to put the ball in play to appeal, assuming infielders have not left the field.