View Single Post
Old Thu May 26, 2005, 02:50pm
Official Forum Member

I was actually hoping someone could enlighten me on this as well. I have always been told in HS camps that the L never has a 5-sec. count, but no one has ever been able to tell me why. The answer is usually along the lines of, "There's no reason for the L to call it", or "That's what I've always been taught". I have never been able to find it in any of the books as well. I wonder if it has to do with the fact that there is not a whole lot of non-lane coverage for the L, so there is very little chance for them to have a closely guarded situation. Obviously, in the lane you will have a 3-sec. call before you have a 5-sec. closely guarded. But I've never had anybody answer this - if the L doesn't have that on-ball coverage in their area, who's supposed to have that coverage? And why would there be two sets of eyes watching on-ball, the L to watch for fouls and the other (T?) to count 5-sec.? In NCAA-W the L can have a 5-sec. count, but there is a larger area of coverage, and a larger non-lane area, so it definitely makes sense. So, I wonder if it really is one of those "myths".

(Used with permission.)