View Single Post
Old Thu May 26, 2005, 12:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by brumey1107
Hello - I’m hoping for some input and understanding of my obligation as an umpire to answering a question from a coach regarding a close play.

Sitch: Pony baseball (15 - 16 yo) OBR. I'm doing game solo from behind the plate.

R1 and R3, one out. R1 steals. Catchers throw sails 12 - 15 feet to right of 2 base. F4 catches the throw and lunges for R1. I'm up 1st baseline 5' or so and I call safe.

Off. coach comes out asking (doesn't ask for time) from a distance where the tag was.

So my question is; how much of an obligation do we have as umpires to explain our calls?

Thank you for your opinions.
My first comment would have been, "Coach, there was no tag, thats why I called hime safe."

At the begining of EVERY game, I tell the coaches, "I will be glad to answer any question you may have, if you kindly wait until I call Time." I make the same offer when officiating Ice Hockey also.

I don't believe we have ANY obligation to explain our call, however I will state to the coach what is it I saw after he has stated his case, give him a few more seconds to have the final say, (that always builds their ego up), and then let him know the game will now proceed. This may require a little more discussion if there is an interpretation to explain but regardless, I explain to him that we are moving on with the game.

Getting a little respect, sometimes means giving a little. Presenting an "I know it all", "Don't talk to me", "I am above you" arrogance, does nothing more than challange the coach to a duel. Realize one thing, you have the final say. Flaunting your power will not get you as far as you may think. Using it wisely, will.