View Single Post
Old Thu May 26, 2005, 11:52am
Official Forum Member

Originally posted by brumey1107

Hello - I’m hoping for some input and understanding of my obligation as an umpire to answering a question from a coach regarding a close play.

Sitch: Pony baseball (15 - 16 yo) OBR. I'm doing game solo from behind the plate.

R1 and R3, one out. R1 steals. Catchers throw sails 12 - 15 feet to right of 2 base. F4 catches the throw and lunges for R1. I'm up 1st baseline 5' or so and I call safe.

Off. coach comes out asking (doesn't ask for time) from a distance where the tag was.

So my question is; how much of an obligation do we have as umpires to explain our calls?

First off now you know why you are doing the game solo.

No decent coach will question that play from a solo umpire. The throw was bad so whether or not there was or wasn't a tag is irrelevant.

When working solo on the play you describe you do not owe the coach any explanation. Also, he did not ask for time so he doesn't deserve anything.

Advice: Stay away from umpiring these types of leagues. You can bet that this wasn't the first time this particular coach acted this way. There's a reason you are umpiring solo and that's because your no-show partner is probably working Legion Ball.

Pete Booth