View Single Post
Old Wed May 25, 2005, 05:35pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question

In today's paper, there was an article about the NBA considering selling "space" on their player's uniforms to sponsors.

Here in Oregon, there are some state legislators who are considering introducing a bill that would allow school districts to sell corporate sponsorships for their athletic teams. The sponsors would then be able to have their logos on uniforms.

I'd like to hear a discussion by us on the pros and cons of this. Please note that here in Oregon, school funding is at "crisis" level and the state and school districts are considering almost anything to raise money.

Here are some of the points the lawmakers have under consideration:

1) If allowed, should the money be earmarked just for athletics?
2) Should each school district decide for itself, or should this be statewide with money being equally disbursed across the state?
3) Could sponsors pick and choose which sports to sponsor?

Some I have thought of include:

1) What would the reaction of the NF be to this and how much authority could they impose on a state law?
2) What happens if an Oregon team with a corporate logo plays in another state that doesn't allow them?
3) Would corporate logos on official's uniforms be next?

My local state rep is one of those involved in this and he is a good friend of mine, so he has asked me to give him some advice.

What do you guys think? Too commercial for high school, or should we "bite the bullet" because we need the money? Here in Oregon, we already sell vending machine space in schools to Coke, Pepsi, etc. and pipe in commercial cable news programs.