Thread: Loose ball
View Single Post
Old Tue May 24, 2005, 10:15am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisSportsFan
Hey RefTN, I think it's good that you let it roll off your back. I would not say that they argue because you are 19 years old. I'm 36 but I look like I'm 19 (ahem, ahem, sniff, stop laughing) and they still argue if they think they are right.
I am sure some of the debate he gets has to do with his age. Just because you are a certain age, does not mean they do not think you are a certain age. I am 32 and I have faced officials with only two or three years of experience, but they were in their 40s and 50s treat me as if I am not very experienced from the very beginning. Then when they find out I have been working almost a lot longer than they have, then they show me a little more respect. The same goes for those veterans that have been around 20 years. It can play a part in how officials are treated. I know players approach me different than most officials because I do not look much older than they do (in their mind).

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisSportsFan
One thing I've been doing lately ,time permitting of course, is ask the coach what did he see? I've found that if I approach them with humility, they explain it to me rather than yelling. If they are arguing a rule/call, then I've said "coach, so that we're on the same page, will you site me the rule regarding team control?" When they realize they can't, they usually back down.
The only problem with that is the coaches will debate the rule, not just what you saw. When coaches are unaware of a rule or do not realize that rule does not apply to the level you are calling, those coaches will fight tell the death (over dramatic) for their position on what took place.

Peace