Thread: Verbal INT??
View Single Post
Old Tue May 24, 2005, 09:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA
Speaking ASA
__________________________________________________ _____
" Spectator interference is specifically indentified, defined and remedied in 8.2.N, 8.5.L and POE #33. In each and every instance it involves the spectator trespassing into the field of play. "

Mike,
Were you responding to my post?
If so, the intent of my post was to suggest some remedies to the initial thread posted. Not having been there, I would not venture a guess as to what I would have done. What I would NOT do is get into a discussion with a fan. I might let the coaches know that if a fan repeatedly attempts to alter the course of play by those tactics, the teams will suffer the consequences by my decisions. I do have the authority to administer penalties upon teams that Obstruct or Interfere. And I can make that case on any calls that I deem came from the dugouts on either side - or their team members.

" The umpire does not have any authority on what happens outside the fence that doesn't involve a coach, player or an otherwise defined team member. "

As far as authority outside the fence - I will take issue with that statement.
If a fan repeatedly attempts to distract or irritate members of either team, I can and will have them removed from the park or cease play until they do.
I claim that authority under 10-1-6 . . .
" The umpire's right to disqualify players or to remove nonplayers for objecting to decisions or for unsporting conduct is absolute. "
I think that is quite clear.

If you were not responding to my post, then excuse my response.

Thanks.

[Edited by officialtony on May 24th, 2005 at 10:39 AM]
Sheffield Lake, Ohio