View Single Post
Old Mon May 23, 2005, 06:58am
Official Forum Member

LDUB:
The post a waste of time? To who? You? To the majority on the board? Yeah probably. But someone is looking to learn, get some information, whats wrong with that. Again, done like it, think its a waste, you got a choice. Hit your "back" button. Does it take that long to do that?
Your right as far as the rule book. Agreed. However, when one is unfamiliar (new official, coach, parent, player etc), even a thorough read of the rules can be hard to decipher. We all know the rule book, as written, is antiquated, and a difficult read, even for seasoned officials.
Plus, when I first began, I read and re-read the book. I devoured it. However, I often solicited the advice of "Big Dawg" officials, who helped me understand the letter of the law, and the understanding of the rule, and more importantly, the application.
You can read the rule, recite it verbatim, but sometimes all it takes is for someone who's "been there and done that" to give a simple play with the rule/play/sitch. Amazingly, many times that's the final piece of the puzzle, and it all comes together, quicker and clearer.
I'll be forever indebted to a couple guys (mentors) who took the time to explain rules, plays etc, that made it so much clearer. It helped cut down the learing curve for me. I still worked hard, and studied, but sometimes nothing can beat the words of wisdom, of experience, someone willing to "pass it on".
Hopefully someday, If Im annointed "Big Dawg" status, I will remember the guys who took the time on the field, over the phone, staying after games, posting on the net, to pass on to me, and I'll try to have same willing attitude.
Plus, a parent, coach, etc who asks a question, no matter how obvious we feel the inquiry is, I feel a responsibility to help and inform. They will take away from that short conversation (or post)some newly gained info, and some positive reaction to an official! Gee, what a few minutes of time will do!
Im not trying to chase him off the board. And you say I should thank him. I did acknowledge his "Big Dawg" status. And since he is one of the more consistent posters, I do appreciate that. He is one of the guys, as mentioned earlier, who Ive learned a great deal from. Again, forever indebted. When first starting out, this forum was/is invaluable.
Someone would post a play/sitch, and he, among all you others would respond, giving their take. I knew the rule, I had read the book. But when broken down by you guys who have fought the war, many times, and expalined it, it was like the clouds opening up, and angels singing. The written rule just became a clear picture. "I can see!"
Of course the best learning tool is experience, doing game after game after game. But the soldier (official) is oh-so more ready, after talking to a soldier who had already been there.
My goodness, of course we all want someone like him to post, to pass on his invaluable knowledge. As I want to keep reading from all of you.
But the substance of his posts, takes on less meaning every time he has to bash someone, make fun of someone etc. Or get in a pissing contest with another official. Geez, lets get over ourselves.
Only positive things can come out of answering a question for a player, parent, coach etc, in the right context.
Between innings explaining a dead ball strike to a parent? Wrong context.
Walking to the field, and a parent/coach/player asks you to explain the IFF, or a question here on the board? The right context.
Again, if you or anyone doesnt like the post, move on. Does it really take that long to click away??