Thread: Wipe the basket
View Single Post
Old Sun May 22, 2005, 10:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisSportsFan
OK, I told myself I was going to look this up before posting but for some reason I cannot find my books so here it is:

A1 has a breakaway layup but B1 is closing fast, I've got a great look as A1 shoots and B1 fouls. I hit the whistle and follow the players to the floor. They separate so I look up to see if the shot falls as A2 (for not apparent reason) jumps up and grabs the rim as the ball is clearly inside the cylinder. Waiting, waiting and no whistle from partner so I hit it again and call a conference to discuss. We both agreed that ball was in cylinder and it was A2 grabbing the rim so I wiped the basket.

Since A1 got fouled, I put him at the line with 2 throws. Is that right since it was his teammate that caused the layup to be erased?
You shoulda looked it up.

It's not BI. To have BI, you have to grasp the ring while the ball is on the ring or within the basket. Above the ring in the cyliner don't count.

The only call you could possibly have on A2 in this sitch is a "T" for grasping the ring under R10-3-4, if he wasn't doing it to prevent an injury.

The foul on B1 is still penalized accordingly.
When I'm saying it's in the cylinder, what I mean is that it's inside the ring. In fact, his grabbing and snapping the rim caused the ball to then pop out. Thanks for the responses.