View Single Post
Old Sat May 21, 2005, 08:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dakota
Recognizing it is not my issue, Mike.

It is... what is the point of the rule? It's not to remove the force (like IFR) - that was accomplished by the catch. Why does this rule exist? Is it the deception angle?
The defender should be discouraged from making a smart, yet risky play. Anytime a defender foregoes catching a ball in flight an allows it to touch the ground, THEY are taking a calculated risk that they will be able to contain that ball which isn't always the easiest thing to do.

The runner should be aware of their situation and prepared to advance or retreat with a millisecond notice as the game dictates. The runner cannot make that decision until THEY can determine if the ball is caught in flight and that is the purpose of the rule.

If the runner sees the ball caught, THEY most likely move into a mode of retreat to the base just left. The point of the rule is to allow that runner the comfort of knowing that once they turn their back, the defender will not drop the caught ball in an effort to acquire extra outs.

If the defender is good enough to knock the ball down or trap it to force the runners to advance, and successfully turn a double play, more power to THEM. After all, it wasn't the defense which placed the runner(s) in jeopardy, it was the runners' offensive teammate. The defense is simply reacting to the situation offered by the offense and, in my opinion, is their job to collect as many outs as possible. Also, especially with only one runner on base, I believe if the BR fails to advance to 1B in a timely fashion to avoid the back end of a double play, tough. The BR does not deserve protection from the rule book.

JMHO,