View Single Post
Old Mon Aug 06, 2001, 11:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by stripes1977
What part of NC do you officiate in? I'm in the triangle association. This is my second year and I know plenty of guys who got varsity games their first year.
It just depends on numbers. How many veteran officials are working? How many retire? How many guys are waiting to be selcted to a crew? Two years ago, we had a lot of turnover. This year, it looks like there will be very little.

My first year, I worked 6 varsity games. But I had worked rec leagues for 5 or 6 years. The first game I worked, I didn't tell the crew it was my first varsity game until after it was over. They had not idea that I was a rookie on his first varsity game. If you can work rec league games and receive good training, you can work just about anything below the college level.

I think that, eventually, we'll get to the point in NC where we will have to play varsity games on Friday and Saturday night because there aren't enough officials.

NCOfficial, you will get JV games. You may not have got any on the schedules that were given out on Monday night but there's only one JV Thursday in this set of assignments. You'll work with a varsity crew who may be missing a regular member or two. When you get those JV games, treat them like varsity games. Hustle, ride to the game with a fellow crew member, ask questions in pre-game, at halftime and after the game. Accept advice and use it when you're on the field. Rookies who think they know it all get a bad rep in a hurry.

Good luck! Let me know if I can help you!

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith