View Single Post
Old Mon Aug 06, 2001, 10:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by NCOfficial
I am a new official in NC. I was wondering if a new official(less than a year) can call a Varsity game?

Say this person scored 100 on the State exam and had very good Mechs. Will he still have to wait 2-3 years?

What about other states?
If you've read the NCHSAA regulations, you already know that you have to work two years of sub-varsity competition before moving up to the varsity level. That applies to all sports, not just football. So, it's not up to the local association.

However, sub-varsity competition is not strictly defined. So, if you've worked recereation or Pop Warner for several years, you might see a varsity game your first year, depending on need. But it's also going to depend on other issues. Is there an abundance of officials? Are there other officials who've been in the association longer that deserve a shot first? Right now, there's not a lot of depth in the SAOA after you get past the men who are currently on crews. But chances are that the booking agent is going to go with the guys that he knows until you have an opportunity to prove yourself. You just need to be patient. A good score and good mechanics are not the only ingredients for a good official. You probably saw that in the scrimmages on Sunday evening.

BTW, good luck with that 100! I made 100 on my first basketball exam and got some immediate attention. But the football test and the rules are a lot more difficult than basketball.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith