Thread: Umpire Courtesy
View Single Post
Old Tue May 17, 2005, 09:32am
Official Forum Member

While I'm waiting on my illegal pitch question to be answered by someone, let me ask one more question.

When the umpire decided that the pitcher was delivering an illegal pitch, should the umpire have called the coach to the mound while talking to the pitcher or does the umpire have the right to talk to the player in the coaches absence?

My point that I was trying to get across to the umpire was that I respected her opinion on the fact that she thought it was an illegal pitch but that next time I prefer that she tell me about it so that I can correct the player as her coach. But she took offense and said that she had played softball for years and that the umpire didn't have to tell the coach anything that she can correct a player at any point. I wasn't trying to get her feathers ruffled at all, it was just the point that she messed with my pitchers mind in the middle of a game. She already told the pitcher she wasn't going to call it an illegal pitch but that she wanted her to know it wasn't legal for her tournament play. If that was the case then why not wait until after the game to confront the player instead of getting the pitcher messed up in the middle of a game for something that didn't matter in the first place??