View Single Post
Old Mon May 16, 2005, 11:13am
In Memoriam

Well, in the first place it is legal for the thrower to step on the line, as you said s/he did above. They can't legally step over the line though--i.e. on the court.

Assuming that's what you meant......

I disagree completely with the "superior" that told you to ignore that call. Not only did the thrower get away with an obvious violation, in this particular case s/he got an unfair advantage out of doing so too. Instead of taking the extra second needed to establish themself legally OOB and set their feet properly, the thrower saved some time with an iillegal move.

Personally, I would rather not officiate than work under circumstances where some goober of a coach could blackball an official for making the proper call. I gotta look at myself in a mirror after the game. I just don't wanna work under those circumstances or for coaches like that in the first place.

How about the other coach and the other team? Certainly not fair to them to ignore a violation just to keep the opposing coach happy, is it?

As for the politics, I'd do a little discreet checking to see if your "superior" wasn't just maybe blowing some smoke up your butt. I can't believe that ignoring an obvious violation would be the norm anywhere, except for maybe- wait for it- the SEC. ()

I wouldn't worry about this particular superior too much. Just nod your head up and down, and then ignore him. If the whole association is like him though, then I don't know what to tell you. You then either put up with it or maybe take up a different game to officiate if it's really bothering you.