Thread: Illegal Pitch?
View Single Post
Old Mon May 16, 2005, 04:44am
Official Forum Member

I'm understanding the following: a right handed pitcher for example with the ball in her right hand; this right hand and ball is covered by this detached glove; and left hand is not touching the ball or glove.

My understanding is that the hands are apart. The glove could only be ruled as foreign substance if it was stuck to the ball and remained attached as the ball was delivered to home plate.

The following is for FED fastpitch:

This action in itself is not an illegal pitch, but I would bet that with such a variation from a standard pitching motion that some other act would be illegal. Like, when she brought her hands together, I presume that she would be "putting on" her glove. In that action, the hands cannot come apart and then back together a second time. She also can only have the hands together for a maxium of 10 seconds.

BTW, why are you asking? Are you just trying to get a better understanding of the rule, or did you see a pitcher do this? If you saw a pitcher do this and if she did it consistantly, did she pitch for more than a half inning? I'm betting she could not have been very good.