View Single Post
Old Fri Aug 03, 2001, 07:46am
Official Forum Member

Originally posted by Jim Porter

I was working the bases in a 15-year-old Babe Ruth championship game a couple of weeks ago.

Finally, seeing that I was not bothered by his badgering, he sped off. He was frustrated that he didn't make me crack, and he was probably disturbed by my maniacal laughter.

Now, I don't recommend that anyone else laugh in the face of a volatile fan. But I must admit that I did get great pleasure out of it.

Jim with all your experience as an official, you were able to shrug this off and knew how to handle, unfortunately, the next group of umpires may not have your experience and something ugly can develop.

The bottom line, individuals like the one in your game have to start being removed from complexes, because you can bet your bottom dollar , this wasn't the first time this guy acted like that and it will not be his last.

No-one and I mean no-one should follow you or drive by your car except your partner. I do not want to be dramatic, but this guy should be reported, and if the league is soft and does nothing, then your association should refuse to service them.

I know it's taboo here, but officials fearing for their safety was the number 1 reason for an overall decline in officials throughout the country as reported by Referee Magazine.

Pete Booth