Thread: Davis Stance
View Single Post
Old Sun May 15, 2005, 03:42pm
Official Forum Member

I've been using GD for almost a year, well over 100 games. I'm very comfortable with it, have no problem with the fact that I don't always see the ball into the catcher's glove, may not always see the plate if the catcher sets up inside. The improved look at the pitch makes up for it. Plus, I NEVER have to call interference on myself!

I get lots of comments from senior umpires in my association ("Jiiiiiimmm, how long have you been setting up that far back from the catcher?") although rarely is such a comment combined with anything about missing pitches.

I had a significant problem with GD when I started. I did the exaggerated wide stance and tore up hip flexors in about a week and a half. Clearly didn't stretch enough. I shortened up (I'm only about 5'10" so it's probably better that I'm a bit higher) which kept things from getting worse but I never really recovered until after fall ball.

Among other benefits of GD is the lack of fatigue. One weekend last fall, I worked four games on Saturday and two on Sunday. Last July, I had one Sat-Sun where I worked six games, including 34 innings of plate work. Still came back and did games Monday night both times. I'm 59.