View Single Post
Old Sat May 14, 2005, 02:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
I'm bringing this thread forward to ask a couple more questions, since I was reviewing the game again last night.

(1) So, this was a college game (in fact THE college game of the year) and was played under NCAAW rules. Was it handled correctly? Apparently from what several of you have said, stopping the game in the middle of an opponents' play was within the rules, but is it acceptable? I know, I know, if they do it in the championship game, it must be right, but I don't understand that. It didn't seem right to me.

(2) If it had been a high school game under Fed rules, and the stoppage was at an appropriate place in the game, what was done would have been within the rules, but a TO would also have been charged to the team that asked for the correction, am I right? But under college rules, this isn't a correctable error, so no TO is charged?
#1. Sometimes, yes. Recommended, usually not. Example. A1 scores what is apparently a 2 with 30 seconds left in the game to put them up by 2. B1 dribbling at half court with 20 seconds on the clock when coach a request a correction. Stop the game immediately. It's valualbe to both teams to get it correct if it needs to be corrected at that time. For A, it'll potentially be worth an extra point, putting them up by 3. For B, their last play will be dictated by the score as they see it. If they go for the apparent tie with a layup at the buzzer, they're going to be really pissed if the correction is addressed at that time and it results in a 3. Now they've lost when they ran a play for the tie.

#2. In HS, a TO is charge when the game is stopped for a correctable error challenge that is leads to no correction. The TO is not charge if a correction is made. I'm not sure for college.

[Edited by Camron Rust on May 14th, 2005 at 03:45 AM]