View Single Post
Old Fri May 13, 2005, 05:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bballrob
I don't know that it does, but what it DOES say is, "After the second horn to end the time-out, the administering official shall sound his/her whistle to indicate play is ready to resume." It doesn't say not to do this if you are resuming with free throws, so this should apply after all timeouts.
I don't have my books in front of me, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. But, I do know that the whistle is not sounded to start a free throw after a timeout. I can only offer practical advice from my participating and watching many games at many levels, (although not as much at the pro level). The whistle is a great signaling device, and one could even argue it's use could be considered in a small way like playing an instrument. The subtlties of volume and length of sound can be used to great advantage. The "tweet" used to indicate a violation in the first 5 minutes will probably not be the same "TWEET!" used to call the foul on the shot in the last 5 sec. of a tie game, or even the "TWEEEEEET" used to indicate the start of the resumption of play procedure. Sometimes not using it can be just as effective. None of that is listed in the book. But the experience of other officials taught me those things. One of the things I've been taught is there is no need to blow the whistle to start a free throw. Of course you need to watch what is stated in this forum; not everything is correct. So, as JRut has said, you can do what you want. But if you watch other games and other officials at the level you are working, and they aren't doing it, maybe there's a reason.

(Used with permission.)