View Single Post
Old Wed May 11, 2005, 04:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mcrowder
"Good Game Blue" usually means there didn't happen to be any close plays that went against the speaker.

"That ump was horrible" usually means there were close plays that went against the speaker.

You can work a game where there are very few close plays - invariably, this means you called a great game, and everyone loves you.

You can work a game where there are close plays every inning. Half go one way, Half go the other - doesn't matter which go what way, whoever they go against is going to think you suck.

You can work a game where there is exactly one close play - and it is the last play of the game. Again - doesn't matter which way you call or whether you are right or wrong... half of the fans will think you suck.

I'm sure you've heard complaints about a call on a close one, and your first (unverbalized) thought is, "Moron - I was 3 feet away, you were 60 feet away. How would you know if that was a good call or not?" Now --- when you hear compliments about a call on a close one, your first (unverbalized) thought should still be, "Moron - I was 3 feet away, you were 60 feet away. How would you know if that was a good call or not?"
Remember we are all human and can make mistakes, even if you are 3 feet away. Sometimes the 12 foot angle is different and potentially better due to other base runners or a player moving into the way at the last minute.

I applaud an official working hard, getting into position and being consistant with the strike zone. I am not like the size but if it's a strike for my team and a strike for the others, I don't care. At least I can tell my players to be aware that the PU is calling a low or high strike and don't be caught looking at strike three.