View Single Post
Old Wed May 11, 2005, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by NSABlue
If you think there is a possibility of a throw to first then there's no way you'll have time to get inside the baseline. If you try, your gonna get in the way. Stay along the foul line and adjust your angle as the play dictates. Your partner, the PU has to recognize the situation and should be starting to shade towards 2nd base and be ready to take any calls at 2nd should the play get that far. Also, be aware of the runner coming down the line at full speed. Make sure you're not gonna collide when she over runs first base!!

I completely disagree. As soon as the ball is past the infielder, bust your butt inside. You may have to do a reverse pivot (turn toward right field and back around to first base) to keep the ball in sight. Now you are ready to rule on the play at first and are still in position to take the runner to second if the ball is overthrown.

I am old, big and slow, but I have never gotten in the way of this play by going inside the infield as mcrowder described and it has happened to me several times.

If the BU goes in to foul ground to make this call, he has taken himself completely out of any secondary play and put a lot of pressure on his partner to cover everything else.