View Single Post
Old Wed May 11, 2005, 09:17am
Official Forum Member

Thank you for posting this. I was going to ask a question regarding intentional fouls at the end of games. I had a situation in our tournament last weekend (7th grade girls AAU ball) where my team was up by one point with 3.4 seconds left. It was our possession, we inbounded to our guard. My guard pivoted with her back to the defender. The defender grabbed her by the shoulders from behind and gave her a great heave, shoving her out of bounds and into the team bench.

I asked the ref it that would be an intentional foul since there was no attempt to play the ball. Asked, not screamed, not cursed, no anger involved. He told me I had no idea about rules, coaches never do, what did I think I was in the NBA, that there was no such thing as intentional in high school rules, plus a few other things that I didn't catch as he walked off. After the game the other ref told me that no one ever calls an intentional foul in AAU or rec ball, that it would cause the other coach to go ballistic so they have been told to let the players decide the game, not the ref on a final call.

We did win the game, I just thought that the intentional foul call was meant to discourage coaches from teaching this kind of play. I'm glad I come here I learn so much from this site and the information that's posted.

Coach Gbert