View Single Post
Old Wed May 11, 2005, 03:46am
Official Forum Member

I know all you guys disagree with this, but I am really wanting to understand why you can't accept this advantage disadvantage philosophy. Yes the kid travels and by all means it should be a whistle, but I say this again, why blow it dead when

#1 The fans and the coach didn't freak out
#2 The kid didn't beat the opponent to the hole thereby not creating an advantage.

This is just like a kid palming the ball. A good official is not going to call him for a palming violation unless he creates an advantage for himself by freezing the player, etc.

If a player after picking up his dribble just outside the paint shuffles his feet just a little bit without gaining a better position from doing so do you blow the whistle?

In all these cases sure you blow the whistle according to the rule book, but what is the spirit and intent of the rule. That is what all officials should base their decisions on.

Did the player try to abuse or take advantage of the rule? If so then blow the whistle. If not, play on.

So once again I ask just for arguments sake, why blow the whistle? Nothing but dead time comes from blowing it dead. What good thing comes from dead ball time? Nothing, but jawing which could lead into a fight.