View Single Post
Old Mon May 09, 2005, 10:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kentref

I agree about B being able to bump or legally block A's "potential blocker." However, I'm looking at situations where the A eligible receiver is trying to run a pass route and making no attempt to block B. The little grabs, hand checking, and other efforts by B to disrupt the pass route of A, should be penalized if there is no attempt by A to block B. I'm not talking about some minor "bumping" but rather some obvious efforts by B to disrupt A's pass route.
REPLY: kentref...I respectfully disagree. There is no requirement that A be actually attempting to block B before B can retaliate with a block of his own. In fact, any attempt by A to block B would result in an OPI flag once a forward pass crosses the NZ anyway. All that's required for B to contact A is that A be a potential blocker, i.e. he's in a position where he could block if he was so inclined. Intuitively, that means that he's in front of the defender, between him and the runner/passer. Once he's even with B on the same yardline or has passed him or has begun to move away from the defender, I agree it's hands off. In fact, I'll go so far to say if the receiver is between the defender and the runner in a popsition to block him, the defender can shove the receiver to the ground with impunity. I think that if you start flagging pushes and hand checks against a receiver who is still in position to block the defender--even if they disrupt the receiver's route--you will be essentially making the Fed (or NCAA) game into an NFL 'illegal contact' game. I don't think that either the Fed or the NCAA intends for that to happen. Remember that the defender doesn't know whether the play will end up as a run or pass. He's given the permission/right to block A as a means of balancing the playing field. Just my humble opinion.

Quote:
Originally posted by ScottV

Bob, can you post the article here as well.
REPLY: Scott...I'd be glad to post it, but I don't have access to a website where I could upload it myself. And it's a little too long to post here. If anyone out there has such a site, I'd be glad to e-mail it for posting.