View Single Post
Old Sun May 08, 2005, 08:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Little Jimmy
Rec game today. Low level pitcher/catcher combination. Many, many balls are off target and missed by the catcher. I set up in the slot each time and it often seemed like my feet/shins were the only thing keeping the ball from rolling to the backstop and allowing the runners to advance. My question is should I move my leg when it became obvious that the slow moving pitch was rolling to my leg and the catcher was making no attempt to get it? At least 8-10 times in the game my body prevented the ball from getting away. This wasn't a case of me getting beat up: the pitch was way too slow for that. Was I giving the defense an advantage?
If you have time to move your leg, do it. Just because you have the equipment, doesn't mean you sit there and get hit.

The umpire should avoid contact with the ball whenever possible regardless of whether it is a pitch or batted ball.