View Single Post
Old Fri May 06, 2005, 10:30am
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Where have you gone Lou Albano, to the NBA?

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:
Originally posted by Goose
I stand corrected. Basically you should have known that I was talking major pro leagues. Does the CBA even exist any more? I believe my point still stands from the 4 majors. The NBA is the worse. As with the other majors, you see the college ranks serving as the minor leagues so to speak for officials, and when they are good enough, they move up to MLB, NFL, or NHL. Don't know the stats, but it is rare from what I have seen where a great college official moves up to the NBA. If the NBA were on the same level as the others, you would see great college guys fighting to get in. Maybe it is happening, but I haven't seen it.
The NBA uses the NBDL, the WNBA, pro camps and summer leagues to develop their young officials. Prior to the development of these leagues, they used the CBA. So yes, the NBA does have their own minor leagues, where they develop their own officials.

Evenso, they are plenty of NBA officials who were D-1 officials. Joe Forte was at the absolute top of D-1 officiating when he went to the NBA Joe DeRosa was a D-1 offiical as Violet Palmer who was one of the top women's officials. Zach Zarba is a recent addition to the NBA from D-1. I'd have to look at the roster to give you a list but there are plenty.

As for fighting to get in, some are, some aren't. Many of the D-1 guys make as much or more money that NBA officials, plus the season is shorter. There are more games available and college basketball is a popular game. I'm sure there are many college officials who are content, working the college game.

So yes, it is happening and I guess you haven't seen it. Seems you're not as informed as you thought.
Add to the list of former NCAA officials now working the NBA:

Benny Adams
Courtney Kirkland
Anthony Jordan
Tony Brown
Nolan Fein (sp?)
Olandis Poole (I think).

I believe there is more but this, along with what has already been listed is just off of the top of my head. I would therefore say that your theory is starting to lose traction relative to this point.