Thread: Obstruction
View Single Post
Old Wed May 04, 2005, 04:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mcrowder
The most common example - Batter hits a "single-and-a-half" to right, and F3 obstructs after first base. You decide single.
This is my point..."single-and-a-half" implies that there is an opportunity for the runner to make second base. Why immediately decide "single", why not "double"? It's umpire judgement, sure, but since there is doubt implied, place the runner at second base and when the defensive coach comes out to question the award, tell him that his fielders need to stay out of the runner's way.

Quote:
Originally posted by mcrowder
Defense has lost any opportunity to nail the runner at 2nd if she got aggressive, or at 1st throwing behind her.
I agree completely. But this is how umpires think, not ballplayers and coaches. In your example, if BR has been obstructed, does not make an attempt at second base, the defense makes no play on BR going back to first, and the umpire that has signaled the delayed dead ball leaves the runner at first, the defense thinks that they have been able to stop a runner's progress without penalty.

I agree that the intent of the rule is to make right what would have happened without the obstruction. But there are times when the "make right" part leaves a question as to what base to award. In these cases, I say that the benefit of the doubt goes to the offense and the advance base should be awarded.

By the way....I won't post anymore on this thread.....we may just have to agree to disagree!