View Single Post
Old Wed May 04, 2005, 08:50am
Official Forum Member

Originally posted by DownTownTonyBrown

I call time and using the bat, draw a line where I estimate the front of the catcher's box should be. I explain that he can reach across but his feet must be behind the line. Again, he acts indignant. His coach has told him to scoot up as much as he can. "No. I'm sorry, you've got to be behind the line so the batter can swing the bat and so I can see the pitches."

Next half inning the coach comes out and wants an explanation. I explain. A little later the catcher requests that I draw the front of the batter's box because he feels the batters are getting too far forward.

Tony we are not the "Grounds crew". I had a similar complaint about the batter's box in a Tournament Double Header Game about 2 weeks ago. Here in the East except for the first week of April the weather has been rainy and cold. In this particular game, the batter's box was gone by the second inning of game 1.

The lines were not re-drawn for game 2. During the second game, the coach of the visitors starting trailing in the 5th inning and comes to me complaining about the batter's box. I told him if he had a problem he should have brought it up at the Plate conference where he could have requested the TD to have the field re-lined.

I use my best judgement when there are no lines defining the batter's box. I have enough to do, I'm not going to draw lines all game long.

Side Note: I have found that the strike zone is that which is accepted for the level of play one is calling. If you are going to umpire this particular league on a regular basis and the pitch that you called a ball is EXPECTED to be a strike in this league, then start calling them strikes, after all it only helps you out.

Pete Booth