View Single Post
Old Tue May 03, 2005, 01:58pm
Official Forum Member

Semantics

Is the batter-runner out of the lane interfering with the fielder at 1st or the catcher throwing the ball when the ball hits the batter-runner?

I can make a case either way. Answer me this, when is it interfering with the fielder taking the throw? When the fielder is about to receive it? Or is it interference when the catcher throws the ball and it hits the batter-runner who is out of the lane?

The case plays say its interference when the ball hits the runner out of the lane. I consider that interfering with the throw.

Also, by definition interference is an act that "impedes, hinders or confuses a defensive player attempting to execute a play". Forcing the catcher to take a step to the left or right in order to make a clean throw to 1st is hindering.

I agree that some throws are just bad and I would not call interference on a throw that had no chance to get an out. For instance, throwing it 5 feet to the left of the 1st baseman. However, the original post says the catcher had to throw over the batter-runner's head. That by definition is hindering and could be called out for interference. Had the runner not been there she would not have had to alter her normal throw and the ball may not have sailed. Its all judgement. I believe a case can be made for interference.