View Single Post
Old Mon May 02, 2005, 04:04pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Smile

lc_huxter,

To me, the key factor is that he has failed to meet the 8.05(c) requirement that:

"the pitcher, while touching his plate, to step directly toward a base before throwing to that base. ...

"...A pitcher is to step directly toward a base before throwing to that base but does not require him to throw (except to first base only) because he steps. "

That is, I believe it is virtually impossible for a RHP to have any "significant lift" or "bend of the knee" of his free leg without moving his free foot in the direction of 3B.

If you try this at home yourself (i.e. lift the free leg without moving the free foot closer to 3B), you will see that, although it can be done, you're so off-balance and it's so unnatural that it's nothing you ever would do in an actual game.

Since, by lifting his free leg, the RHP's free foot has gained "distance and direction" towards 3B, he has failed the "direct" part of the 8.05(c) requirement.

This is why it's legal for a LHP to lift his leg, just as he normally does when he is starting his pitching delivery, and throw to 1B. He is stepping "directly" towards 1B on the pick-off throw.

I also think the phrase: "...commits him to the pitch without interruption or alteration....." found in both 8.01(a) & 8.01(b) also supports this interpretation. While the "interruption" part of this phrase is, in my experience at least, pretty commonly understood (i.e., once the pitcher is engaged he can't start to do something then stop and then start again), I find that the "alteration" part of the phrase is regularly misunderstood and misapplied.

Many people seem to think it means "as long as he does it the same way every time, he's OK" (pitch or pick-off). Or, conversely, if he doesn't do it the same way every time, he's illegal.

I think it means that an "in contact" pitcher can't start to do one thing and then change it into something else - even if he does it "smoothly and continuously".

In the specific case of a RHP pitching from a SET position, once he lifts his free foot and gains "direction and distance" towards 3B, he has "started" to do one of three things:

1. A pick-off to 3B.

2. A pick-off to 2B.

3. A pitch to the batter.

Once his free foot crosses the back plane of the rubber, he has "started" to do one of two things:

1. A pick -off to 2B.

2. A pitch to the batter.

Once he makes any motion towards home plate, he only has one thing left to do legally:

1. Pitch to the batter.

Of course, if there is only an R1, once his free foot starts moving in a direction other than 1B the only legal thing for him to do is deliver a pitch, I guess you could say that it's a

"...natural movement associated with his delivery of the ball to the batter (which) commits him to the pitch ..."

Anyway, that's how I think of it. Of course I could be completely wrong, but this seems to work for me, and, I think, explains why a LHP "can" and a RHP "can't" when going to 1B.

JM