View Single Post
Old Mon May 02, 2005, 03:23pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Not to whip a dead horse,

"If a batter swings and misses the 3rd strike and it's caught by the catcher, do you not signal and vocalize the batter out?"

I signal the strike just as I did the first and second strike. If it is a called third it is more demonstartive but means the same thing.

No, I have never said, "Batter's Out"

Weak kneed analogy:

If I am a BU and the Batter-runner is out by ten feet I have never said, "He's Out!" or "Out" that is a given -- I simply signal the out.

I am not sure this fits with what we are talking about but IT IS another time that you do not verbalize the out.
[/QUOTE]

The difference is, IMO, everyone in the world knows he is out by ten feet.

The same with a caught line drive and runner is going on the pitch, throw to the base, easy DP. No need to vocalize.

I see your point, but I feel it is different when so many things are happening in a split second. Batter swings misses, catcher drops the ball, runners take off, BR takes off, coaches are screaming, etc.

The batter is out, call him out!

Just to further try and prove a point, lol, when a runner passes another, do you not call that runner out and identify him?

Or, would you just signal an out and let the runners continue their escapade around the bases and have the defense figure out which one they need to tag?

Not to mention your partners confusion!

Is there no set mechanic for this situation?