View Single Post
Old Mon May 02, 2005, 09:30am
Official Forum Member

REPLY: Just my opinion…you can accept or reject as you see fit: Blocking is legal for both offense and defense. Yes…the defense can block. As long as the contact is from the front, inside the frame of the body, above the waist, etc. (see NF 2-3-2, NCAA 9-3-3) any player can use this tactic. The only times this tactic is illegal are defined in NF 9-3-1, i.e. when it’s KCI, PI, or a personal foul. NCAA is similar with some exceptions related to blocking below the waist. With regard to blocking, there are no more restrictions on the defense than on the offense except for the NCAA’s prohibition against BBWs against eligible offensive receivers while a legal forward pass is still possible. Bumping by the defense downfield on eligibles is legal provided it’s done in accordance with NF 2-3-2. If you were to prohibit that, you would move your game into the realm of the NFL’s ‘illegal contact’ rules. Illegal use of the hands against an eligible receiver by the defense is contacting the receiver in a manner other than that described in NF 2-3-2 when the receiver is no longer a blocking ‘threat’ to the defensive player. The NCAA explicitly spells this out in NCAA 9-3-4c by prohibiting use of the hands/arms by the defense against a receiver who “occupies the same yardline as the defender or until the opponent could no longer possibly block him.” The Federation doesn’t spell it out explicitly, but does reference this type of action in their Case Book play 9.2.3. Situation A. I’d be very careful about calling defensive ‘bumps’ of a receiver downfield illegal unless you can either rule them PI or illegal use of the hands as described in play 9.2.3 Situation A. By no means however, would I ever call them holding.