View Single Post
Old Sun May 01, 2005, 02:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GarthB
The decision to be made is: did the batter or did not the batter intefere with the catcher?

Next: did the catcher's throw retire R1 or not?

If the throw retired R1, ignore the interference. If it did not, the batter is out, R1 returns to first.

The mechanic we use locally: Plate umpire swings out from behind the catcher, points at the batter and says: That's interference!

He determines the outcome of the play at second. If R1 is out, he ignores the interference. If R1 was not put out, the PU continues: Time. That's interference, batter is out. You (pointing at R1), first base.
I do the same thing, however consider this play: R1 and R3 bottom of the last inning score tied winning run on third no outs. R1 attempts to steal second Batter interferes with throw PU states that's interference throw goes through R1 out at second. R3 scores on the play. Never had this happen on my watch, however I think (since everyone heard you say "thats interference") you have to kill the play and put R1 back at first and R3 back to third and declare the batter out for interference.