View Single Post
Old Sun May 01, 2005, 10:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SC Ump
With playoffs occurring, I thought these might be good. I was in a game this evening and there were questions about who does what. I will refer to umpires as PU, U1 and U3.
Speaking ASA:
Quote:
Sit A: No outs, no one on. Sinking liner to right field. U1 goes out and rules no catch. F9 fires the ball to 1B, who has the call at 1B?
U3. PU is to "assist" in watching the BR touch the base and return to the plate.
U3 comes inside and takes the BR/R all the way to 3B
Quote:

Sit B: R1 on 1B. U3 in B position. Sinking liner to left center field. Is it appropriate for U3 to go out?
Depends on the UIC, but U3 should cover that.

Quote:
Sit C: R1 on 2B. U1 in B position. Sinking liner to left center field. U3 goes out. Ball is not caught. R1 goes to 3B while ball is field and thrown to 3B. Who has responsibility for the call at third?
U1 should have gone out. Though I don't care for the mechanic, PU has the call at 3B
Quote:

Sit D: Same as "Sit C", but ball is overthrown at 3B and R1 attempts to score. Who has the call at home plate?
PU
Quote:

Sit E: R1 on 2B, U1 in B... well actually B+½, instead of positioned on F4's left shoulder, positioned between 2B and F4, on the edge of the grass. This is to better watch R1 leaving early and better position on a throw back. Concerns with this?
With a runner on 2B, U1 should be off the right of F4 in a position in which s/he is comfortable that they can see as much of any play without interferring.
Quote:

Sit F: Same positioning as "Sit E", check swing on a right handed batter. Who should go PU go to? (And don't go back and change your answer for "Sit E". )
RHB, always U1. BTW, going on a check swing is NOT mandatory unless the game is NCAA. I did not see anything suggesting NCAA until the SC's latter post.