Thread: NCAA IFF
View Single Post
Old Sat Apr 30, 2005, 05:04pm
Official Forum Member

Ok, I'm a student at the University of Illinois and FED certified baseball and softball umpire. Don't know NCAA softball rule differences all that well. I was watching our game against Minnesota down here today and Here's the stitch that had a bunch of us scratching our head:

0 out, R1 on 2nd, R2 on first. Batter hits a pop up behind F5 playing in guarding against a bunt. Ball is hit pretty high, and F5 goes back for it. She has time to turn around and as she turns around (underneath the ball mind you) F7 coming in calls her off but the ball falls untouched. Now, both U2 and U3 (in positions B and D) had one hand in the air (gave me the impression of infield fly) but I never heard the verbal call. F7 picked up the ball and threw to third base, F5 steps on third, U3 calls R1 out. So no we've got, 1 out, R2 on 2nd, BR on 1st. Now, neither coach argued, but to me this play was weird. The ball could have been caught by an infielder with ordinary effort and there were runners on 1st and 2nd with less than 2 out. Shouldn't that have been and infield fly? Also, what else could both umpires having one arm stuck up in the air mean besides that? Any input is appreciated.

-J