View Single Post
Old Tue Jul 24, 2001, 06:15pm
Official Forum Member

I would answer the question -- but how? Probably with something like "The general answer is 'Yes'" or maybe "Yes, but with some weird exceptions." The follow up question would receive "It too complicated for now; talk to me afterwards. Lets go."

That being said, I've done almost zero adult league work. (Three outings I think.) Basically jerk-ball is no fun, I don't really need the money, and my evenings are worth more than it offers. The biggest benefit would be the development of my skills, but I've just suffered the long way.

That said, I just agreed to be the regular ref for a men's league starting this week. I guess it runs late each summer as a fund raiser for our school athletic program. The chief hauncho told me I could set the rules myself. (That is, what exceptions to allow. Customary is hockey-style substitutions, which are fine with me as long as there is no advantage gained.) Last year they used varsity players to ref and they want to improve the quality, but not destroy the purpose (raising funds for the school). I said I would only ref games where fouls are tracked and players can foul out -- he agreed. I figured I need the exercise, plus the judgment practice I'll gain.