View Single Post
Old Tue Jul 24, 2001, 11:01am
In Memoriam

Lightbulb Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: My two cents

Quote:
Originally posted by Bfair
Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Perhaps what P-Sz was implying, and I am in agreement with regard to the fair/foul ball, a batted ball is live until it is dead. ;-)
mick
I am the opposite, Mick. For me, when close to the line it is foul until proven to me to be fair.

WHY???............because "if I am wrong".........

If I call call it fair, and "if I am wrong", then I have just taken the ball out of the pitcher's hands. There is nothing else he can do to offset my error of being wrong.

If I call it foul, and "if I am wrong", then I may have taken a hit away from a batter, but he is still at the plate with the bat in his hands. I did not take the bat out of his hands. There IS something he can do to offset my error. Hell, he may even hit a HR instead of the single.

Bottom line, when IN DOUBT on a fair/foul call, I will always call foul. I do less damage if I am wrong. By having this philosophy going into the game, it makes my game more consistent on this type call, and I have learned to react in accordance with the philosophy.

Certainly if I know it is fair, that is what I call---regardless of how close it was to being foul.

Just my opinion,

Freix [/B]
Freix,
On those 'tweener batted balls down those unmarked outfield lines, I've got fair almost every time.
If I have to guess, I guess to keep the game goin'.

Yet, your rationale does makes sense to me.

It's fortunate that neither you, nor I, have ever kicked one of those calls.
mick