View Single Post
Old Wed Apr 27, 2005, 02:38pm
Official Forum Member

I struggle with this call. As a matter of fact, I've never called interference and I think at times I should have. I seem to have a hard time wrapping my brain around this and need some help.

In most cases, interference on a thrown ball has to be intentional. One of the situations I have difficulty with is the attempted 4-6-3 double play. I've heard from players (I know, not the most objective source) that the runner from 1st has to slide or veer out of the way. If he continues running to second in an upright position the Batter-runner should be out (assuming the Batter-runner is closest to home at the time of the interference). So what do you call in this situation? What can the runner do and not be called for interference?

I had another situation I need help with.

Runners at 1st and 2nd. Batter hits a ground ball to F5 who steps on 3rd for the force out. The runner from second bumps into F5 while he is attempting to turn and throw to 1st. It was not intentional and I know interference with a fielder attempting to throw the ball does not have to be intentional. However, he never made the throw. He never even got the ball out of the glove. Does he have to throw the ball before you call interference? What if in your opinion he had no chance on getting the out at 1st? Do you still call interference? Or does he have to have a legitimate chance on getting the out?

One more thing. I'm assuming that we use the position of the ball relative to the hand to determine the difference between throwing and a thrown ball. If the ball has left the hand, its a thrown ball and interference in most cases at this point would have to be intentional. Is this a little too literal?

Thanks!