View Single Post
Old Wed Apr 27, 2005, 08:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by WestMichBlue
"Do ASA rules allow a pitcher to step back?"

Assuming FP - answer is Yes.

ASA 6.1.E.1: "If the pitcher decides to pitch with the non-pivot foot to the rear and off the pitching plate, a backward step may be taken before, simultaneous with or after the hands are brought together."...for men only
Nice setup by an accomplished ASA basher! (only partly kidding, WMB. It really was a nice setup! It had me going for a sec!)
Quote:
Originally posted by WestMichBlue
The obvious advantage to the step back, and the legal drag is to create more forward momentum and thus more powerful, or faster pitches
Quote:
Originally posted by Andy
I have been told that the justification for this is that HS rules are written to encourage participation by as many students as possible and by allowing the step back, it makes pitching easier.
Actually, it seems to me it does both. It makes it easier for less skilled pitchers to pitch strikes more often, and it gives accomplished pitchers a more powerful drive off the plate.

The step back is also illegal in international play (e.g. Olympics) for both men and women (I believe that to be true - don't have the ISF book), and it is illegal in the NCAA. The real question is why?