View Single Post
Old Wed Apr 27, 2005, 06:00am
Huck Finn

April 19, 2005

GREENSBORO, N.C. - Atlantic Coast Conference Commissioner John Swofford announced that Associate Commissioner Fred Barakat will relinquish his duties as the league's Supervisor of Men's Basketball Officials.

"I commend Fred for his long service to ACC basketball officiating. He has always been committed and diligent in this complex task and has always performed admirably. With our conference now being 12 schools, the rotation of the tournament to the various sites and the complications of scheduling and television, it's time to separate these functions from the officiating responsibilities," said Swofford.

Barakat began his tenure at the conference office on September 1, 1981. A native of Union City, N.J., he is a 1961 graduate of Assumption College in Worcester, Mass., where he starred in both basketball and baseball. Over his 24 years at the ACC, Fred has served as the ACC Men's Basketball Tournament Director since 1990 along with assuming the responsibility for men's basketball scheduling and developing its television package.

"I look forward to Fred continuing his service to the league and I appreciate the many years he provided in such a challenging capacity. I will begin the search to locate a new Coordinator of Men's Basketball Officials immediately," said Swofford.