View Single Post
Old Tue Apr 26, 2005, 11:22pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Wink

painguy,

I'm starting to understand your choice of username....

I applaud the fact that you are actually bothering to read the rules. This is important. In many cases, they're a little complicated. Also, in many cases they are ambiguous, occasionally they are contradictory, and they don't always mean what they literally say. Although I'm a coach, this I am not making up.

First, nobody (other than little kids who are learning and haven't yet been taught properly) actually pitches with their foot on the pitcher's plate. Most pitchers pitching from the windup start with (at least) their pivot foot on the rubber and then, as they take the "rocker step", shifting their weight on to their "free" foot, "pivot" their pivot foot from "toes to home" to "toes to 3B" (RHP) as they step immediately in front of the rubber into the slight "trench" that is there (or the "deep hole" found on many youth diamond mounds). Although this "step" with the pivot foot might seem illegal by a "literal" read of the rules ("...He shall not raise either foot from the ground, except that in his actual delivery of the ball to the batter, he may take one step backward, and one step forward with his free foot. ..."), as long as the pitcher is merely "clearing his cleats" to pivot, it's fine. That's how its done.

Now, when pitching from the "Set" position, everyone starts with their pivot foot "...in front of, and (at least close to) in contact with..." the rubber.
While it is a requirement that the pitcher initiates his pitch thus, there is no requirement that he keep that foot motionless as he completes his delivery of a pitch or pickoff. As long as some portion of the pivot foot remains in contact with the ground until he "lands" his free foot, he's fine. He's allowed to "pivot" on his pivot foot, even if that foot completely loses contact with the rubber - as long as he started from a legal position and doesn't completely lift his pivot foot from the ground prior to landing his free foot.

Unless, of course, he is employing a "jab step" or "jump spin" move in a pickoff. Then he is allowed to completely lift his pivot foot from the ground after assuming a legal "Set" position, as long as his "free foot" gains "distance and direction" towards the base he is making a move towards. Why??? I honestly don't know why this is legal. But it is.

Of course, the pitcher is also allowed to lift his pivot foot and move it behind (i.e. to the 2B side) the rubber if he wants to "disengage".

If I have misspoken in any of the above comments, I am sure that the knowledgeable and helpful umpires on this board will correct my errors.

In closing, I really do applaud the fact that you actually seem to be reading the rules. What you have to realize though, is that that is only the starting point of beginning to understand them. If you read the rules and are not confused, then you really didn't read them very carefully.

Good luck.

JM