Quote:
Originally posted by gordon30307
Quote:
Originally posted by GarthB
Quote:
Originally posted by gordon30307
Quote:
Originally posted by GarthB
What's the best compliment a Coach can give? Batter to Coach after taking a called third strike. That pitch was ........ (fill in the blank). Quit complaning he's been calling that a strike the whole game.

Why do umpires think that's a compliment? All the coach is saying is that for whatever reason you have consistently believed that pitch to be a strike. The coach is not necessarily saying that that is a good thing.

I prefer hearing the coach say, "He's right that was a strike. You gotta swing at those."

Because consistentcy is the most important thing to calling a good game. From the dugout or third base all the Coach can see is up and down. If your high and low and in and out never wavers they know what to expect.
Nonsense. Consistency in calling a good strike zone is important. Consistency in calling crap is not. Consistency in and of itself is meaningless.

One can consistently miss bangers at first.

"Well, I was consistent," is the motto of the mediocre.
Hey stay on task were not talking about bases. I've got a great zone and I don't call CRAP. If you're not consistent you suck.
So conversely, if you are consistent, you don't suck?

Ergo, if you call pitches in the dirt strikes, that's okay as long as you do it everytime. I don't think so. I'd reather see my partner miss a call or two than consistently suck.

When a coach says, as DG posted: "Quit complaning he's been calling that a strike the whole game," what he is really saying is that the umpire has been calling strikes that aren't really strikes.

All I'm saying is consistency is good if it refers to being consistently good. Too often it's used by umpires who call high and outside strikes or ankle biter strikes as they dismiss the b!tching: "Well, I'm consistent."

[Edited by GarthB on Apr 26th, 2005 at 05:01 PM]