View Single Post
Old Tue Apr 26, 2005, 08:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Chess Ref
This first one happened yesterday at a game. I am BU. Batter squares around to bunt, pitch is high and tight. Ball is call, coach wants PU to check with me. I give the safe signal and loudly state "No Swing". Is this the correct mechanic ?

Am I the only one the catches alot of grief for what occurs somewhat regularly in ASA/FED ?

Defensive Players make a good play, bang/bang but runner still safe and then the howling begins.....

My catch-all example is 10U ASA tourney. Catcher makes a really nice throw to second (it made it on less then 2 bounces) F4 is there straddling the bag ( no OBS) makes the catch, applies the tag...about 2 seconds late. i call SAFE and the yelling begins....

Last night F6 makes a great stop -deep in the hole- comes up firing -great throw- just a little late. And you would have thought that I was a spokesperson for the local blind school. My partners have consistently said I am getting these call right. So what gives with the yelling ?

You just gotta get a tougher skin!

If you had made those calls differently, you would have the other side yelling at you!

This is part of the game and to be expected somewhat. Be sure your mechanics are sharp, your uni is sharp, you are positioned correctly, and maybe most of all, use a good "sell call" (safe or out). You will still hear some yelling from the stands, but you just have to learn to ignore it. Unfortunately, some of the nicest, most well behaved people you can meet transform when they are watching a game.

Now, if this was the bench, or coaching staff that was doing the yelling, you can control that.