Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Lotto
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Originally posted by Lotto
Quote:
Originally posted by Back In The Saddle
You might want to have a look at 10-4-4 penalty.
I'm not sure what you're referring to. NCAA 10-4.4 refers to double indirect technical fouls, which has nothing to do with this play.

If you're referring to my comment that "offset" is a football term and not a basketball term, I recognize that the NCAA rulebook refers to "offsetting" fouls in certain A.R.'s, but I still think it's better, especially for beginners, to think in terms of the language that's defined in Rule 4.

And beginners (most of whom use NFHS rules) should then not think in terms of the language defined in FED Rule 10, which uses the term "offsetting" several times in R10-4-4 and associated case plays?

The FED obviously thinks that "offsetting" is a legitimate basketball term-i.e. because of it's actual usage in the rules. The NCAA uses the term in it's AR's too. That it is a legitimate basketball term used by the rulesmakers was BITS' point.

[Edited by Jurassic Referee on Apr 25th, 2005 at 08:15 PM]
I hear what you're saying, but I still think it's better for us (and especially beginners) to generally stick to the terms that defined in Rule 4. (These definitions cause enough debate; terms that are not officially defined can be, in my experience, more confusing.) That's my personal opinion; I completely understand BiTS's and your points.

BTW, although offsetting fouls might be referred to constantly in the NFHS rulebook, but my post was about NCAA rules. (I don't have an NFHS rulebook and don't officiate under these rules, so I can't say anything about them.) This is one of the reasons I was confused by BiTS's post; I was talking about NCAA rules and his rules reference was (apparently) to NFHS.